The 5 Ws of Counselling
WHO can benefit from counselling?
- Are unable to clearly define your problems.
- Are unsure if you really need counselling or unfamiliar with psychotherapy.
- Are someone who never talks about your feelings.
- Consider feelings to be unimportant.
- Talk to a lot of people about your feelings, yet things are getting worse.
- Don’t believe counselling or therapy can work for you.
- Are worried you’ll discover something upsetting or horrible about yourself.
WHAT is counselling?
- A safe, non-judgmental space to share your struggles.
- A process to gain insight, tools and steps to help you deal with on-going or new issues that are getting in the way of your happiness.
WHERE does counselling happen?
- In person in an office
- Online video call via Skype or Zoom
- By telephone
- By text
WHEN is the best time and frequency for counselling?
- Anytime is the best time for counselling whether you’re frustrated and struggling or just want to check in and get a reminder of healthy ways.
- FREQUENCY of counselling starts at one 60-minute session per week for 5 to 8 weeks.
- In URGENT or TIME SENSITIVE situations twice a week is helpful. Or longer sessions of 90 mins to two hours are suggested.
WHY would you see a counsellor?
- You want to feel different and find more happiness in your life
- You want others to notice the changes in you.
- You want to feel…
- More confident
- Less defensive
- Comfortable communicating effectively
- On purpose with your career, school or personal life
- Connected and loving with others
- Energy and passion to do what you love
- More fun in your life